Paula is the managing partner at ABNO Advocates, the Director, Innovation and Intellectual Property awareness at the Intellectual Property Centre Uganda and secretary, Traditional Knowledge Committee of Buganda Kingdom.
Paula holds a Masters degree in Intellectual Property (MIP) by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Africa Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) and Africa University in Zimbabwe. She also holds an LLB (Hons) degree from Makerere University, a post graduate diploma (PGDip) in legal practice and a PGDip in Tax and Revenue Management from the East African School of Tax. She has received extensive training from WIPO in different countries in addition to the unique experience of being trained at the ARIPO offices in Zimbabwe.
Her areas of expertise include among others; Intellectual Property, commercial transactions, trade in services, regulatory frameworks, IP trade related issues, trade and investment policy, technology transfer and anti-counterfeiting, IP and economic growth, IP management, Traditional Knowledge and technology and digital law.
In 2017, Paula was selected as one of two Ugandans to attend the WIPO-PRV Intellectual Property program for LDCs in Sweden. Her project on formulation of a Traditional Knowledge Policy for the cultural kingdom of Buganda has since led to the establishment of a TK committee in the kingdom.
Paula is also a seasoned presenter and regularly provides analysis for local and international businesses including specialized trainings with innovation hubs.
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society (ULS)
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, ULS IP Law Cluster
- Member, URSB IP Directorate Users' Forum
- 2016: Certificate - Bilateral Investment Treaties and Arbitration; African Institute of International Law, Arusha
- 2016: Certificate - IP Asset management for business; Korean Intellectual Property Office, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2016: Certificate - Intellectual Property and technology transfer; National Intellectual Property Management Organisation, South Africa.
- 2018: Certificate – Advanced course on Intellectual Property Management; WIPO.
Awards & Accolades
- Named amongst the New Vision 40 under 40 most influential women of 2017 in Uganda.
- Mutare Garments Award: Best overall Masters Graduand, 2016
- ARIPO Award: Best Masters in Intellectual Property student, 2016
- WIPO Award: Best Masters in Intellectual Property student, 2016
- ARIPO scholarship to the Master’s degree in Intellectual Property at Africa University, Zimbabwe (2015).
- Consultus Publishing Service Award: Best Masters in Intellectual Property female student, 2016.
- Best graduating student with the highest academic CGPA of a class faculty, Econet Wireless (PVT) Ltd.
- Masters in Intellectual Property scholarship by ARIPO, 2015.
- Undergraduate LLB Scholarship, Uganda Government, 2007
- Representing PEPSI CO. in an infringement action regarding their "MOUNTAIN DEW" brand
- Acting for REDBULL GmbH in a trademark infringement action regarding their "REDBULL" Brand.
- Acting for UNILEVER PLC in a passing off action regarding their brand "FAIR & LOVELY".
- Acting for Tiger Food Brands Intellectual Property Holding Co. (Proprietary) Ltd in a matter concerning their their brand, "JUNGLE"
- Acting for HERO in a matter concerning their HERO” brand.